In the last part, we have discussed about optimizing the pages of your eCommerce website. We have also discussed about the relevance of keywords for your SEO strategy in first part of this series. What we haven’t discussed till now is the relevance of tags and why they are the essential components of your SEO strategy.
The ‘Title’ Tag – the most important ingredient
The Title Tag has the format as <title>Keyword</title>. It is the most important tag for securing a good page rank. Below are some of the points that need to be considered while writing Title tags:
- They appear as blue headlines in Google. This means that they will be read by other search engines as well as your potential customers. Make sure to make them catchy.
- Like any other text on your website pages, title tags need to be unique.
- It must have your keywords. This is because the search engines will look out for keywords while scanning the content on your website. This will improve your search rankings in Google.
- Finally, make sure that the Title tag consists of 70 characters including spaces and no more.
The ‘Description’ Tag
Have you observed the grey text that appears in Google search results? This is the Description Tag. It is of the format <meta name=”description” content=”Description of your page”/>. Following are the points to be kept in mind while writing description tags:
- They must have unique, catchy content to attract your future website visitors. Also, they must be specific for each product. However, it is difficult to find out that no two products share identical ‘Description’ Tags. This can be analyzed with some of the SEO tools available though.
- Unlike Title Tag, Google will not use the Description tag to boost your rankings. However, It can surely help you to publicize your sales pitch.
- Description Tag can contain 100 to 155 characters including spaces.
The ‘H1’ Tags
They are a part of set of tags, or mark up that makes up the structure of HTML pages. It also defines their main titles and paragraphs. It is depicted by letter H followed by a number say H1, H2, H3 et cetera.
If you see the structure of a newspaper, the HTML is structured in the same way. The H1 tag is similar to the main headline of the newspaper.
They are essential as they are analyzed by the Google algorithm to determine the page’s content and its main subject.
Like any other content, there are certain rules for the H1 Tags:
- They are formatted as <h1> Keyword </h1>.
- There should be only one H1 tag for each page. No page should have more than one H1 Tag.
- H1 Tags must be placed in the text area. This will enable Google to read the text. Avoid placing the H1 tag near the Logo. It will make the SEO purpose useless.
The H2 and H3 Tags also need to follow certain rules to fully utilize the SEO practice. these rules are as follows:
- These are formatted in the similar manner as <h2> Keyword </h2> and <h3> Keyword </h3>
- They must also be positioned near text area like the H1 tags.
- The difference between H1 tags and H2, H3 tags is that a page can contain multiple H2, H3 tags unlike only one H1 Tag. Generally they are positioned around paragraphs and sub paragraphs.
The H4, H5 tags are of no relevance to the SEO strategy as they play no significant role in Google rankings.
SEO Tools to boost Productivity
Now, as you have ventured into the world of SEO strategy, you must be wondering about the time and effort that is needed to implement all of these into your site. Don’t fret, we have some tools to help you optimize your website for maximum impact. Below, we would be discussing certain Tools and their contribution to improve the rankings.
There are several Firefox add-ons available that will help you out to daily track your SEO policy. Few of the best ones are listed below:
Worried about the Tags used on your site or on your competitor’s website? This add-on will display all the Tags in a single click.
You can Download SearchStatus from here:
It is always tempting to know what keywords were used recently on a page. This add-on is perfect to do the trick. It shows the keywords as a tag cloud.
You can Download Kgen from here:
3) Web Developer Toolbar
Want to view the H tags and to check whether they meet the desired criteria? Web Developer Toolbar will help you out.
You can Download the Web Developer Toolbar from here:
4) SEO for Firefox
This is a complete package that will help you view the information directly from the Google search results including the date the site was created, number of external links it has , Page Rank et cetera. One thing to keep in mind while using this add-on is to turn it off when not using it. Otherwise, you may get banned from Google servers temporarily. It will also prevent you to perform searches on Google.com for several hours.
We have discussed the Firefox add-ons. Now let us look at some of the tools offered by Google.
Using Google Analytics:
It is very mush essential to track your audience and visitor statistics. This is done most frequently by using free tool provided by Google i.e. Google Analytics.
It enables you to do the following:
- Regularly track changes in your natural website Traffic.
- Configuring a goal for your eCommerce website.
- Utilizing the feature to know which of the pages of your website sell the most?
That’s not all! There is a plethora of useful options available in Google Analytics platform. These tips will enable you to analyze what your customers want out from your website. Implementing the required changes will boost in the Page Rank followed by increased sales.
Google Webmaster Tools
Google Webmaster tools help locate the Tags used and check for any duplicates. It becomes easier to remove them. Besides this, it also helps to check errors in the website pages, server errors, presence of Malware et cetera in your eCommerce site. This will help you in taking prompt actions and prevent malfunctioning of the site.
We have seen the role of the Tags in making your SEO strategy successful. You should emphasize on the structure of the pages of your eCommerce site especially the position of the HTML tags. Each of these tags should be used and optimized differently.
We also studied the benefits of using certain SEO Tools along with Google Analytics, Webmaster Tools to improve the Google Ranking and boost sales on your eCommerce site.
With this we come to an end of our three part series. With these tips, if implemented and consistently monitored, will surely give a boost to your website’s page rank as well as to your business.